In March, I wrote about how much to give away for free. At the time, I was offering very little free information on my online high schools website. As loyal readers know, that website is one of the major ways that I sell my book, Complete Guide to Online High Schools.
My theory was that the greater the traffic, the more the money. As you might recall, I earn money in three ways from that website:
- From sales of the book; and
- From Google Adsense ads; and
- From Featured Ads.
Book sales on that site are all driven to Amazon (which is part of my marketing plan). Traffic for the first year of the site was about 30,000. In the four months since I began to give away more information, the number of hits has been 60,000 (for a total of 90,000 this week).
What did I learn? I learned several things including:
- The more pages of good content on a website, the more likely to ding the Adsense bell. The amount of money the site makes from Google Adsense has tripled in just a few months.
- The more pages of good content on a website, the more likely to ding the Amazon bell. The number of books sold through Amazon doubled in just a few months.
- The more pages of good content on a website, the more likely to ding the Featured Schools bell. In that short period of time, the site added five new featured schools. Most of those schools came to me (as opposed to me usually having to go to them).
Thus, while I think you need to be careful with how much you give away, the Internet is driven by information. You absolutely need to have something worth reading and, importantly, something worth exploring.